Monday, January 29, 2007

i'm engaged!

my perfectionism seems to kick in at the most random times, like when i'm trying to blog about my engagement for instance. you see, i've been wanting to share this exciting news with all of you for the past few days, but have been contemplating over the perfect format and words. after the prompting of my friend and fellow blogger, bree, i decided to push past my writer's block to fill you in all on the details of the past week. i apologize for the delay!

wednesday was frank's birthday which he spent shopping for rings and meeting with my dad. that day he discovered that my coveted pearl ring would not be suitable for an engagement ring for it would begin to peel (and thus look icky) over time. wanting to recycle and not contribute to the corrupt diamond industry, we decided to shop for an antique ring instead. i hear that the meeting with my dad went well for good conversation and beer was had by all.

on thursday and friday evenings frank and i visited antique jewelry shops in the portland area. our favorite was maloy's for their knowledge and helpfulness. while there i feel in love with a 1930's art deco ring after hearing its story and seeing how it sparkled in the sunlight. thank you, frank (and eve)!

while scrapbooking on saturday frank called to sadly inform me that the appraisal was not ready and thus he wouldn't be able to pick up the ring that afternoon. i was a little bummed since i had been hoping that he would propose while we were at cannon beach that weekend for his birthday. monday was only a few days away though, so i knew i could wait.

on sunday frank and my first stop at the beach was at ecola state park for a hike to crescent beach. the hike was steep, but worth the sweat for it led to an (almost) secluded stretch of sand. after our picnic lunch i lay down on the blanket while frank went for a walk. after a few minutes he returned saying, "look at this cool crab leg i found!" when i sat up he was down on one knee, holding out the ring. needless to say, he asked me to marry him and i said yes! (it was silly and sweet just like him -- how could i not?)

soon after i called home to share the good news with my family. my mom teased me for being so gullible and believing frank's ploy of the delayed ring pick up.

after hiking back up the steep hill, frank and i checked in at the tolovana inn. we had to share the good news with the fronk desk too (of course!) and they congratulated us with a room upgrade, champagne and chocolates! frank and i thoroughly enjoyed the fireplace and beach view from our new room and were able to toast to "a life full of fun and adventure." i started my "look hot for my wedding" diet immediately following the chocolates - yum!

monday we returned from the beach and have been sharing the news with family and friends while starting to plan the wedding. we're planning for an august wedding so we must move quickly. good thing i bought a wedding planner today and have been subscribing to martha stewart weddings all of these years!

(frank jumps with joy.)

7 comments:

Bree said...

Sandra, so fun, so cute, so sweet! I am very happy for you. I remember when Kathleen was getting married (at least I think it was Kathleen. There were too many weddings that summer) and you were so excited and wanted to help her plan and go to wedding shows. I think I also remember something about you being really excited about a 4th of July themed wedding after going to one of the shows? Happy planning!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! August, I can't beleive it. :)

Anonymous said...

congratulations!!! im so excited for you. and i think how he proposed was extremely cute. :)
--kelsey

jennifer said...

that was a seriously cute proposal. and what a setting!! i enjoyed reading about it :) august is only...7 months away - you best get moving on that planning!!

The Ubran Poetess said...

Congratulations!!! Hope all is well with you!!! :-)

Unknown said...

Way to be creative with the ring. I really like it and can't wait till my next visit home. I'm bringing a red zinfindal I bought on our wine trip with me, to honor the occasion.

<3 Tim

Anonymous said...

Way to go, you two! Jerry & I are very excited for you and looking forward to an August wedding. P.S. The ring is absolutely perfect! : )